Friday, February 2, 2024

2.2.2024 Friday - JJ takes a break

Sketches for a house for a young man

 Late yesterday, JJ texted me and wondered if I would have time for a chat today. Yes - I mentally set aside some time for her, Friday mornings are usually spent going through our Instructions with one of our project builders. At 1030am, I manage to skip away for a coffee downstairs. She sits across the table and tells me that she's thinking of deferring next semester, and effectively take a gap year. 

She tells me that it is because she is not enjoying the course; the tutors are disorganised, the classes are chaotic and she is pressured to do more (I suspect for the uni portfolio as well as hers). She was getting physically ill. She will continue after a year's break for the school to get their act together. 

I tell her that if she was sure that  a break would help, then she should have a break. I tell her that she should enjoy her last two years in university, so that she can springboard into the job market fully energised and ready for her career. Likewise, she must select a good place to start her first job - as that would shape her impression of the profession which will form her career for next 30 years. 


No comments:

Post a Comment