Monday, February 12, 2024

12.2.2024 Monday - 初三 auspicious day to start work

Sam climbed onto the ledge to hang up the firecrackers which Khaliq set off. 

It is an auspicious day to go for a 5K walk/run as well it seems. 
It is 8 a.m. when I return from a slow run around the block, and then I walk to the office. Melvin is already here, minutes later Fiona arrives and the rest trickle in getting ready to 'start work'. Though the work they are concentrating on is the preparation of the steam boat lunch friends and colleagues are coming to eat at noon. 

Many offices have chosen this day to resume work; most do so symbolically, they come in to turn on the lights, the computers and have a coffee before returning to their holidays. Our office folks seem to have learned from Sam and I, and are good at making the most out of a situation. It is a good turn out and we cannot help but feel fortunate that we have good people around us. 

One person in particular has grown to become a true equal - speaking her mind, expressing her intentions and talking to me like a friend and a partner. I am sure this happened a while back but I noticed it today, in the eyes and the smile she gave when she greeted me. 

I also notice that our office is quite 'young' in the ages; 20-somethings mostly but doing 'grown-up' work. PS expressed her surprise at how young they were (at No. 40) - and I suppose that they are, but they shoulder their responsibilities quite well and willingly. 

Former colleagues appear; Kai-wen and Bryan, former students Chris and Awang drop by and chat about university with a new friend Jean who is finding her way back to architecture. We might foster her for a while if she is interested, I leave her to speak to JoHo and RF. 
Later that evening, a sheer coincidence I am sure, Zayn text me about news with the Dean, I hope they remove him - only then will the uni have a chance. 



Even later that evening, a text message from an intern (short stay - like sushi and shoyu)
"Hi Uncle Min,

Thank you for letting me come to the office and intern there for the past few weeks. Even though it was short, it was meaningful to me because I was trying to "be uncomfortable" like how you advised me when we met at Sarawak Club. I was hesitant to take you up on your offer at first due to previous experiences but then I remembered your advice and decided to follow it.

I'm not sure what the future holds and I don't know where I'll go/what I'll do when I graduate. But I just want to thank you for this time because it at least helped me see that I don't necessarily need to do my Masters right away and also put me in touch with a bunch of other people at the office and they've all been great people to be around that have been helpful and friendly in their own ways and I'm really grateful for that. 

Writing this to you now because I likely won't be able to see you on Thursday night due to a submission on Friday 🥲

Thank you for everything: the lunches, the dinner, the site visits, the advice (about design and masters, etc), the help with arranging transport, the portfolio help, and letting me come and have my online classes there (which was much better than staying at home) and just the experience of trying something new 😊

Take care, uncle, and happy new year to you, aunty Sam, Sean, Sara and Auntie/Ah Ma"
 

The original gang Sean calls this - it must refer to the lunch gang when the office was at Upper China Street

No comments:

Post a Comment