Thursday, February 15, 2024

15.2.2024 Thursday - Japanese

He asks if our office was a Japanese restaurant before - no, why?. Because the dark front walls and the pine plywood furniture reminded him of a Japanese restaurant in Melbourne. 


He visits for a chat, but I had to leave so I call him up for a chat the following day. My chat with him cover many topics: mostly architecture and buildings, he such a fan of architecture. 

We talk about mutual friends, his friends (my former interns) about how one of them is struggling to cope with a project site and its architect and what the potential solutions are: a) combat the architect with letters and complaints; b) take this as tuition and solve the problem as a contractor with architectural skills; c) or do nothing but complain. I think our young friend needs to remember that he is not the architect in this case, but the builder. I tell him that my door is open, and if a chat is needed, I am more than happy to assist.

We talk about publications and newsletters and design forum, and how their format needs to change, to engage more people; developers, land owners, builders instead of focusing on architects (if the intention is to raise awareness, the architects are (or should be) aware already. Stop preaching to the choir (lessons he learned from Maggie, Peter Corrigan's partner). He gives me an idea about how Intersection can evolve.

We talk about him returning to take over his father's practice, about how unlikely it seems at the moment. I suggest that he falling for a local girl might do the trick, and I also suggest that he speaks to Jenny about tips on how to set up his father's company website.


No comments:

Post a Comment