Wednesday, August 16, 2023

17th August 2023 Thursday - Geelong (day 6) seeing Dez



Time to leave Melbourne - we are excited because we are going to Geelong, to see (more) uni-friends, to have time to be alone together, to travel on the V-line train, to move on. We owe a debt of gratitude to Tim for the 'room and board' and offered to repay it in Kuching and KL. 


The Southern Cross Station (by Grishaw), formerly the Spencer Street Station



Dez collected us from the Geelong train station, and took us on a tour of familiar landmarks before settling down for an early lunch at the Barwon Club.

The pub was close to the first restaurant where I worked; the Chinese Noodle House run by Alice and her husband. It is now a Thai restaurant though the interiors look scarily the same.


In 1988, I engineered a deal between Philip, my boss at the Chinese restaurant where I worked at nights, and Pas Cirrillo, my boss at the architecture practice where I worked some days each week - to design a house for Philip's family; Carol, and their children, Jenny and Richie. I was very proud of this arrangement and work hard to 'marry' both sides of the deal - which culminated in the built house during my final year. In hindsight, it was more a draughting exercise rather than a design scheme that was built. 

Our home in Geelong, 10 minutes work from the town centre, past the cinemas and hospital
. Strangely enough, I dont recall ever coming this far along Ryrie Street in our years there - one of the effects of not having a car. . 


Another one of the restaurants where I worked; The Summer Palace, for Mr and Mrs Wee.

Later that evening, after our walk into town to visit our old haunts in Geelong town centre - we cabbed to the Limeburner's Bar to meet Kathy and Dez for dinner



 

No comments:

Post a Comment