Wednesday, August 16, 2023

16th August 2023 Wednesday - Melbourne (day 5 ) seeing Dianne again


On the up side, she lives in a lovely house with caring people to care for her. 

Started the day with a run, Tim wanted to show me the neighbourhood where he grew up; the park in front of the house, the school, the milk bar, past the zoo and along train tracks. I was surprised to see trams as we ran through the park, strange to see them among the trees as I associated them with the city. But then again, we are only ten minutes from Melbourne CBD.

1030am appointment with Dianne and Punam, for a morning walk to the park, Tim joined us; he had a soft spot for Dianne once. We all did; a soft spot and an admiration. So it was difficult to see her in this condition; lost in her own world, repeating words, making sounds and looking at pictures of cats in a book. 

Lena booked us for a nice lunch at Supernormal, but should have booked a table instead.....we didn't want to wait 45 minutes so we had nice Japanese food with  conversation in Hokkien. Sam and I wandered off to Fitzroy for op-shopping until it was time for a Korean dinner with the young Mr. Teo.

At 7 a.m. the sun is bright but it was a cold run at the beginning. my ankles ached.

on another time, Sam and I would have spent time wandering through these spaces.

Tim's primary school, where it seems that he enjoyed a very active and independent childhood



we walked to the park with Di, with a quick stop at the coffee shop - I miss talking to her, she was always so full of unexpected information.


I found out later that this is a swimming school; Swimable

As we left Dianne in her own world, I thought more about the lost opportunities in the past 33 years to return to catch and talk about work, life, friends, books, film. Then I thought that much of which linked Di and I together was the course, beyond that we have quite different priorities in life - and that is why she was important in my life. She showed me what the other side of the coin looked like.

one of DCM's earlier works - I must find the plans and document this

Lunch at Fed Square


Chocolate Buddha

After lunch  - Sam and I did what we do best; aimless wondering around looking into op-shops and drinking random beers when we felt like it. Perfect way to spend the afternoon

This young man treated us to dinner, he claimed that he owed us many dinners and paid of our meal; Tim was invited as well and thought that the young man provided much of the dinner conversation.







No comments:

Post a Comment