Thursday, November 10, 2022

10th November 2022 Thursday - reconnecting

2022

2005

I used to underestimate the importance of conversations with my clients; I saw it as a chore when summoned to meet a client, taking me away from more 'important' tasks such as designing and drawing. I now see these meetings as an opportunity to discuss design, decide on options when we have given them alternatives to select. Many of my architect friends have known this for years. What can I say? I am a slow learner, and I have a worker mind-set (seeing my place in the engine room instead of the boardroom).

So, it was good timing when Teck invited us to visit him at home, he mentioned designing a new kitchen and dining space in his garden on the phone yesterday. We bundled up our plan A and plan B for his other project, to discuss with him that afternoon after he has briefed us about his kitchen project.

I had not visited his house since 2005 when we completed it, and was surprised to see that much of the original structure was retained, including the furniture layouts. The bar counter built by Soon Onn was still there, (in good condition) the suspended concrete stair with timber framed curtain wall, even the kitchen and dining was unchanged. Mom and Matt was in there drinking tea when I wandered in, it felt smaller. Which was why a new dining structure was needed. He had bought the land next door, for this purpose - it will be a good project for Sean. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment