Thursday, February 17, 2022

18 Feb 2022 Friday Meeting KW and RT



Yasmin - one of our borrowed children and a delight

Fridays are often an excuse to catch with friends over a long lunch - I was early invited to have lunch with KW and I thought it would be good for him to rub shoulders with other architects. I am very fortunate as there is always an offer of a lift to the lunch venue by someone; Freddie, Si Yong, or Ivy. 
The drive was a chance to continue my chat about work collaborations; he needed continual income. 

At lunch, I spoke to a young architect who grumbled about his inability to make changes to his family's property development business. They made money developing low to medium-cost housing for the government and my young friend felt that his design ideas were not given due attention. My old self would be scolded him, my current self gave him 2 pieces of advice: ask for a small plot of land to execute as a prototype - architects need to build to test ideas and gain confidence, and to build up your portfolio of built work for others to have confidence in you. Secondly, I reminded him that the uninspiring work that his father built was responsible for putting him through a prestigious architecture school in Melbourne. And that perhaps he should consider this period as time to return the gratitude and kindness of his parents. He has only been back 3 months!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment