Tuesday, December 28, 2021

27 Dec 2021 Monday

This was painted on the wall of a project, meant for the client's team to review and confirm their choice. This was not done, of course which resulted in a flurry of text messages from the client. But the writing as they say is on the wall, go have a look and tell us if you like our choices.
Lesson: put things in writing, even when arguments appear unlikely - it is good housekeeping. 

A client once asked me what was the most difficult part of project management - 'the people' I replied.

We have managed to coordinate a project in Penang from our offices in Kuching and KL for the past 5 years, travelling to and from the site to manage the project; coordinating various work scope, solving details, inspecting quality of built works, meeting deadlines and (of course) managing people. 

There were proactive people; proud of their work and keen to get the project built and there were others who were only interested in maintaining their KPI and not interested in working as a team. 

As a whole, we managed to do quite well; PH with his soft touch and people skills, GW with his attention to detail and insistence on getting things built (as agreed) as per contract and I am in the middle, trying to see both points of views and mediating when needed. More often than not, with a sharp word or a firm rebuttal. GW told me once that if ones lose one's temper, the battle is lost. I agree, but I told him that blowing my top and cursing loudly in Hokkien felt rather good and I feel no regret. (let me be the slightly temperamental and scary one, I don't need to make friends at work).





 

No comments:

Post a Comment