Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Sunday well spent


I injured my foot recently and have not been able to run for the past two weeks. It is frustrating but as I told one of my runner friends - I now have an extra 7 hours each week. So, the other hobbies have encroached and my Sunday has evolved somewhat...

4:30 - 7:00 a.m. Sunday 
- finished reading Yasmin Ahmad's 'memoir' loaned to me by another Yasmin - I enjoyed it tremendously as it is funny and sad, poignant and pointed in parts. It is told in a series of encounters and conversations with her close friends and colleagues. One gets a sense of having known Yasmin after reading this book - I am going out and buying one for myself and a few more to give to friends.



9:00 - 10:30 a.m. 
After a quick breakfast with Sam and Sara, we headed off across the river to join the Urban Sketcher's Kuching Sketch-crawl at the old Dewan Undangan Negeri Complex. Our little group was started by Peggy and Azie, both fellow architects and it has since grown to include several graphic designers, Yvonne who teaches sign langauge, Helena the Interior Designer, Adam the plastic surgeon and local students. Peggy is the dynamo behind our activities and has recently set up a page on FaceBook. 


Ink and wash on site - using a water brush filled with Chinese Ink

Started on site, finished at home


The outcome of one hour's sketching on site

Notice how they sit in the shade ?

11:30 - 1:30 a.m.
It was a bit hot to do gardening but the grass needed cutting and I needed to burn calories - so I cut grass while Sam joined me to weed. Our vegie patch and herb garden has gone to weed suffering from neglect during our time in Europe - next week's assignment is to re-plant some of them.

Add caption
2:30 - 3:30 a.m.
Sam shaved her hair a few years ago as part of Kuching's GO BALD campaign to raise money for our local Children's Cancer Society - so she is a avid supporter of friends who are game to do the same.  Several of our friends were taking part so we dropped by to lend our moral support - especially for the women in the group when they get their hair shaved off. This is the 6th installment of the GO BALD campaign in Kuching  and I was very touched to see that the number of young people taking part have increased - meaning that the event has raised their awareness in the plight of others. I was very proud to be in their company, I was told that they raised RM 400, 000.00 (USD 100,000) on Sunday.


Claudia is an architect working with me

From front - Sofia, Claudia, Freddie, Ah-Fook and Louis

7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
Dinner and off to bed


2 comments:

  1. That foot injury is certainly unfortunate, but at least you got to buy yourself time to follow on through your other pursuits. That should be good for you for the long haul. Meanwhile, cold compress and a consistent bunch of therapies and it all be fine. Getting a second opinion from a trusted medical professional would be of great benefit as well.

    Darryl Hier @ US Health Works

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Darryl, my foot is fine now and I am slowly getting back to speed - almost in time for the Spring Kuching Half Marathon 15 June 2014

    ReplyDelete