Wednesday, April 27, 2022

27 April 2022 Wednesday - sentry duty


Today is Wednesday, which is when collect my mom from Eldercare and have dinner with her before sending her home at 8pm. This is meant to give some respite to my sister whom mom lives with. 

When we started this routine, I saw it as a chore; my duty to play a part in caring for my mom. Later, I found myself looking forward to these dinners and outings with mom. Yes, the conversation can be repetitive but there are moments of clarity when she relates events and stories from the past. She has dementia and can be a test, but Sam treats her with good humour and gives her ear rings to try on. 

I think this is a sign that we are more able to make the best of a situation, and enjoy ourselves in the process. And not be stressed out by someone who is simply aging and losing her memory. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment