Thursday, June 30, 2022

27 June 2022 Monday - moving office

 


We have been at 44 Upper China Street for almost 7 years.  It is a lovely location for so many reasons: 

1. It's in the old Kuching Town where I grew up. My grandfather's former hardware store is nearby, and linked to this are many childhood memories. 

2. My alma mater is nearby also, its church just up the street. I hear the church bells as I cycle in to work.

3. The neighbours are lovely (but eccentric) people. The kapitan who oversaw the welfare of the locality, sorted car parking problems and hosted noisy Taoist ceremonies at the same car parking space. Our next door neighbour who is very fond of Mao, I found him meowing at the door one morning, trying to coax Mao out.

4. The renovated interiors were lovely to work in; cosy, warm and practical. 

5. The shop was almost 100 years old, and people told us stories about it; where MN's mom saw her first wedding, where they bought pork from the family who lived at 44.

6. And the rent was cheap. 

But we have outgrown our space. With distancing, with more people joining us, and with my urge to have interns and trainees again - we have to move to a bigger office. 

At lunch today, I settled my mind after settling fee share issues with Freddie. It was only an issue in my mind, because I'm not good at talking about money with friends. 

Then we talked about staff, and workload, and work environment. He mentioned how he is always looking forward to coming to 44 to chat to Peggy about work, and have a coffee with me. But his mood would dampen after looking for a car park, and further dampen after the long hot walk.

I asked if he knew of any empty lots near his own office. There is one, which is likely too small. I rang Arlene who informed only then that she viewed 2 units last Friday and they looked promising. 

And that's how we started the plans to move from 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment