Sunday, April 20, 2014

Here's looking at you, kid.

These are details from our excursion into the Habous (old town) of Casablanca - parts of the town has been gentified but the back lanes appear to be the gritty original in the raking evening light.  I noticed a familiar name on a street sign - a memory from my high school history books; Ibn Battuta, Moroccan explorer and scholar in the 1300's. ( I remembered him as Persian, Abdul was quick to correct me) You can see the French influence in the naming of the street.


I saw many modern day Bogies and Bacalls
The weather was turning cooler so we headed back to our bus. People on the street are keen to find out where we are from, some hazarded a guess "Ja-pan?, Sin-ga-poor?" many were delighted to find out that we are from Malaysia especially when we returned their "Assalamualaikum" with a fluent "Wa alaikum assalaam".

at the Habous
Morocco has a special relationship with the colour blue; her skies, Majorelle, cobalt, blue men

It is the end of the work day and people are meeting friends for a drink or a meal, waiting for a lift home or having a chat at the Place des Nations Unite. I spied on them from the bus.

at the terrace of the American Embassy (as Abdul calls the Mcdonald's Fast Food restaurant)
I think she likes him, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment