Friday, March 11, 2022

9 March 2022 Wednesday Opening our borders

I have been in the Media and Publication sub committee for the past decade, and Chair for the last four to five years. We have always tried to do things differently, turning left when people were going right, which made it quite difficult for the Editor of our Institute's magazine to get us to march to his tune.

We're doing a series on Cities, he said. - we'd like to have one from your chapter.
Hmmm.. we said. 
We don't want you to be left out, he said. 
You could make it easier for members to contribute, I said. 
Hmmm.. how do you mean? he said. 
Well I told him then. 

And asked a few questions of my own. The answers seemed to say that the privilege of getting published in AM was the reward for contributors. I recalled being thanked with a complimentary copy of the issue I was featured in, and given a high resolution PDF of my article to share with clients, the builder, the plumber, etc. He doesn’t recall and didn’t look like he would issue the PDF as it would  'cannibalise’ itself. 

I felt bad for being difficult and rude, so I spoke to SY who confirmed that I was. But he agrees with my response. After that chat, I made up my mind to feature non Sarawakian architects and their projects, we want to make it easy for good work to be published. 

After this decision, I felt better immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment